This springtime recipe takes advantage of the beautiful in season produce and gourmet products on offer at Wilsons Fruit and Vegetables. Asparagus and peas are at their best in Spring and when teamed with succulent, tender roasted chicken breast and a flavour packed mushroom sauce, all on a bed of pasta, this is sure to become a family favourite. Visit Wilsons and give this one a crack!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
375g pack pasta
2 chicken breast fillets
2 bunches of Asparagus
500g Sugar Snap Peas, peas removed from shell.
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
200g small swiss brown mushrooms, sliced in half.
1 TBSP fresh Thyme leaves finely chopped
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup chopped parsley + extra for garnish
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
2. Fill a large pot with water, salt the water and bring to the boil on the stove.
3. Blanch the shelled peas in the boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute remove with a small sieve or slotted spoon in a bowl with ice cold water so they don’t over cook.
4. Cook pasta in the same pot of water as per pack instructions until Al Dente. Drain pasta and set aside.
5. Place the chicken breasts on an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through or reached an internal temperature of 75 degrees celsius. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes then slice.
6. Snap the woody bottoms from the asparagus place on a plate drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a griddle, frying pan or BBQ on medium high heat and grill the asparagus for a few minutes turning with tongs to grill all sides. Remove onto a plate and add the zest and juice of one lemon, toss to mix.
7. For the mushroom sauce heat a frying pan on medium high heat and the butter and a glug of olive oil. When butter has melted add the halved mushrooms and cook stirring for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and caramelised. Add the garlic and thyme and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the cream and mustard to the pan and stir bringing to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened. Turn the heat off, season and stir through chopped parsley.
8. To serve get yourself a nice large serving platter. Place pasta on the plate, scatter peas over the pasta and top with the asparagus and sliced chicken. Spoon over the mushroom sauce. Garnish with extra chopped parsley, lemon cheeks for a squeeze of freshness and a final drizzle of olive oil. Put platter in the middle of the table and let the family dig in!